Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, and Elon Musk. Aside from being billionaires, what do these three household names have in common? They’ve all made their mark on the world through their work in computers.
To be fair, having a Computer Science degree doesn’t guarantee you’ll become a bonafide billionaire (or even a millionaire). However, careers in Computer Science remain in high demand. They’re also among the highest paying jobs in the country, according to the Department of Labor and Employment.
While it takes a lot of hard work to reach the top, you need to know your career options first. Before you explore the professional world, here are some of the top jobs Computer Science degree holders can consider:
- Software developers. This professional is in charge of creating software programs that allow its users to perform specific tasks on various devices. They’re also responsible for the development, testing, and maintenance of the said software.
As a software developer, you need to be well-versed in computer programming. Aside from fluency in computer languages, you have to be a good communicator as well. After all, you’ll have to work with various teams and departments all the time. You should also be able to identify the software’s weak points and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Database administrator. Basically, every company has a lot of data. The job of a database administrator is to analyze and evaluate the data needs of users. They’re in charge of developing and improving the data resources used to store and retrieve critical information.
In order to have a bright career as a database administrator, you need to have good problem-solving skills. This is because your job is to remedy any malfunctions in databases and to modify systems in line with the evolving needs of users. In addition to great attention to detail, you need to be patient and well-organized as well.
- Computer Hardware Engineer. A computer hardware engineer’s role is to design, develop and test computer components, such as memory devices and circuit boards. This professional also accelerates new computer technology through the development of advanced computer hardware.
To be a good computer hardware engineer, you need to have a good mix of technical expertise and creativity. You should be passionate about learning and innovating, as you need to be on top of the latest trends and technologies in the industry. Because this complex role requires a lot of testing and retesting, you need to have good analytical skills. Plus, you must have perseverance in order to achieve your goals.
- Computer Systems Analyst. Nearly all careers across different industries deal with computers and technology one way or another. This professional’s role is to assess the computer systems of an organization. They’re in charge of making recommendations in order for the organization’s computer systems to be efficient and cost-effective.
To become a good computer systems analyst, you need to have a solid knowledge of information technology and computer systems. This means keeping yourself with the latest trends in the industry. As you’ll have to deal with a lot of people, you’ll need to have good communication skills as well.
- Computer Network Architect. Another Computer Science career you can explore is that of a computer network architect. This expert’s job is to design, implement, and maintain networking and data communication systems. This means assessing the needs of organizations for data sharing and communications.
What makes a good computer network architect? You have to possess formidable analytical skills as you’ll have to assess a lot of products and services available in the market. You should also have extensive knowledge of various types of computer operating, security, and wireless systems. After all, your job is to keep everyone connected.
These are only some of the lucrative Computer Science careers you can consider once you’ve obtained your degree. Before you dive into the professional world, it pays to know a job’s expectations and requirements.
On the flip side, you can develop all the skills that your dream job demands. We at CIIT Philippines hone you to become the best Computer Science professional you can be through high-quality, industry-based teaching. Explore our college courses to kickstart your future today.